How to Detect & Remove Mold Behind Drywall in Walls & Ceilings After Water Damage in Watermill, NY Houses & Apartments

When people hear black or toxic mold, it puts in mind a harmful illness in your home. Indeed many molds are harmful and some not so much, but the hardest is to know which are which. However there are many home and business owners completely unaware if there is mold growing inside their walls. There are signs of mold you can look for and other tests can be done to help determine the severity of the mold and what kind of action you should take. L.W. Winslow Painting, Inc will help you determine if you have a mold problem and what actions you can take to keep your home or business safe.

How Long Does it Take For Mold to Grow on Wet Drywall? How to Detect Mold After Water Damage

Walls, and especially drywall, are very porous. In moist and humid areas, mold has a tendency to be a problem. Places like bathrooms, kitchens, and laundry rooms are the most common places for molds to grow. However anywhere where water damage has taken place will often result in mold growth. One of the first signs of mold growth is the smell. Unseen mold damaged areas will have a distinct musty, earthy smell like the smell of decaying leaves. Often drywall will swell in areas that are constantly exposed to water. If you’re seeing any bubbling or even loose drywall sections they most likely will have molds growing inside it. Mold cannot be treated once mold invades drywall. You can try to spray bleach on it to slow down the future damage but with constant exposure to water and darkness, mold will grow. Once mold is discovered you will need to remove and replace the drywall. You may want to seek more answers before you begin demolition. Mold spores can germinate after only 12 hours in some conditions. You can hire an inspector. Most of the time they will follow their nose and do a sniff test first. They might also come equipped with a mold detector. Of course there are many detectors on the market if you want to go a do it yourself route instead. If mold is found, you will need to remove from the home or building as said before. However this is a job we strongly suggest you leave to the professional. Some molds are harmful and will need to take the proper precautions when removing. A professional will have all the protective gear and disposal methods to prevent any harmful spores from becoming airborne. They will also remove any infected insulation and wood framing. Mold damage can become a major project that will take a lot of time and experience to deal with.

Can Mold on Walls & Ceilings Make You Sick? Should I Remove Moldy Drywall?

Keep in mind if mold is discovered, don’t over react. Not all molds are harmful. In fact most aren’t. Those people with allergies or respiratory problems will suffer the most from molds but they are not fatal. However it’s not the mold that can cause respiratory problems. The problem comes from their spores. Mold spores are their version of seeds and once airborne they can infect other areas that they touch. If inhaled later, they will cause allergic reactions and breathing problems. Spores only become airborne when disturbed. That is why when removing drywall you must be careful. It’s best to hire a professional for drywall replacement. L.W. Winslow can remove damaged drywall and replace it with new. We will then tape, texture and paint to match the existing.

Drywall Hanging, Finishing & Repair in Amagansett, East Hampton, Southampton, Wainscott, Bridgehampton, Montauk, Sag Harbor, Shelter Island, Watermill, Westhampton & The Hamptons New York

L.W. Winslow Painting, Inc provides drywall repair services can help make your home or office building safer. Don’t let molds become a health problem. If you have damaged drywall that needs removal and replacement, L.W. Winslow Painting, Inc is here for you. Call us today.

Scroll to Top